What is WUE?

WUE is a state exchange program with participants from Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. Students can attend participating public colleges or universities in the western states at a significantly reduced cost.

Residents of the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands (CNMI) are also eligible to receive the special WUE tuition rate.

How do I apply?

You will automatically receive the WUE award upon admission to Humboldt.

How much is it?

The 2021-22 estimated tuition and fees cost for a WUE student is $10,732.

The CSU makes every effort to keep student costs to a minimum. Fees listed in published schedules or student accounts may need to be increased when public funding is inadequate. Therefore, CSU must reserve the right, even after initial fee payments are made, to increase or modify any listed fees, without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular semester or quarter has begun.

All CSU listed fees should be regarded as estimates that are subject to change upon approval by the Board of Trustees.

Can I claim residency after studying at Humboldt for one year while on the WUE program?

You will not be able to claim California residency while participating in the WUE program. To be considered for residency, you will have to stop participating in the WUE program for a minimum of one year.

What are the WUE admission requirements?

Out-of-state admission requirements will be used to determine admission to Humboldt with the WUE discount.

What programs are open for WUEstudents?

All academic programs are open to WUE participants.

What is the deadline to apply and still get the discount?

The priority application period for Fall admission is October 1–November 30. Applications for Spring admission are available August 1-31.

Are both freshmen and transfer students eligible for the program?


What conditions for enrollment will be required for WUE participants?

You must remain in good academic standing as stated in the university catalog. If you leave Humboldt and the decide to reapply, you must apply from a WUE state to rejoin the WUE program.

Is there a limit on the number of years a student can receive the WUE discount?

There is no time limit on participating in the WUE program.

If we overlooked your question, or you would like more information, you can call us toll free at 866-850-9556 or send us an e-mail at hsuinfo@humboldt.edu.