Transfer Eligibility



To qualify for regular admission as a transfer student you first need to determine if you are a lower or upper division transfer student.

Lower Division Transfer Students >60/90 semester/quarter units

Have completed fewer than 60 transferable semester (90 quarter) units.  

Humboldt is currently open to lower division transfer students (completed fewer than 60 transferable semester units (90 quarter) who meet the following criteria: 

  • Be in good standing at the last college or university attended
  • Have a grade point average of 2.0 (C) or better in all transferable units attempted
  • Have completed with a C- or better:
    • Written Communication (College English)
    • Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning
  • Meet the admission requirements for first-time freshmen:

Note: All Fall 2022 Lower-Division applicants will be evaluated using the Multi-Factor Admissions Criteria posted on the First-Time Freshmen Eligibility webpage and criteria 1-3 posted above. 

If you did not complete all the subject requirements in high school, appropriate college courses may be used to make up the missing subjects. Non-residents must meet the eligibility index for nonresidents.

Upper Division Transfer Students 60/90+ semester/quarter units

Have completed 60 or more transferable semester (90 quarter) units.

Once an undergraduate student has earned 60 or more transferable semester units (equivalent to 90 quarter units), they are considered an upper division transfer student. If you aren't sure how many college units you will have, check copies of your transcripts and/or talk to your college counselor.

Transfer requirements currently are:

  • Be in good academic standing at the last institution attended
  • Have completed at least 60 transferable semester college units, with at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average based on your transferable work
  • Within those 60 units, have completed at least 30 units of general education (GE) coursework.
  • As part of those 30 GE units, have completed all four of these subject areas, with C- or better:
    • Written Communication (College English)
    • Oral Communication (Speech)
    • Critical Thinking
    • Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning
  • All required subjects must be completed before the first term at Humboldt. Fall applicants must complete all admission requirements before summer begins.
  • Applicants to the following majors may be required to meet supplemental criteria due to transfer major impaction:  Nursing (R.N. to B.S.N.) and Wildlife

Students transferring from a California Community College should complete equivalent courses for the desired major and general education requirements. Students transferring from out of state are encouraged to review the course descriptions and should complete comparable coursework.  We strongly encourage all applicants to impacted majors to consult the Humboldt catalog and to complete as many of the lower division courses for their major as practical prior to transfer.

Steps to Successful Entrance to Cal Poly Humboldt

October 1-November 30August 1-September 30Apply for admission at
October 1-March 2October 1-March 2File for Financial Aid with FAFSA at Financial Aid awards are for academic year; fall-spring
Approximately 2 weeks after application submissionApproximately 2 weeks after application submissionReceive welcome email from Humboldt State. Check the email account, including spam, included in your application submission. Follow steps in email to set up your "myHumboldt" student portal and access all necessary links to continue in enrollment process
March 1October 15Submit official in progress transcripts. Two rounds will be required; one demonstrating your progress so far, and one for final grades of your last semester
As soon as it appears in myHumboldt to do listAs soon as it appears in myHumboldt to do listComplete Financial Aid student authorization. Submit IRS forms for Financial Aid purposes. Find information in myHumboldt student center to do list
4-6 weeks after in-progress transcripts arrive4-6 weeks after in-progress transcripts arriveAdmission decision letter will be sent within 4-6 weeks of receiving in progress transcripts
15 days after receiving denial15 days after receiving denialAdmission decision appeal letters are due 15 days after receiving an admission denial. This can be accessed through myHumboldt
May 1NovemberAccept admission on myHumboldt student portal. Without accepting admission, you will not be able to move forward in the admission process such as registering for courses
Beginning March 1N/A - will be done for youRegister for Registration Tutorial on myHumboldt student portal. This will become available once your full file has been reviewed and you've accepted admission.
April, May, June, August (4 sessions)1st week DecemberParticipate in an online registration tutorial at a designated time frame. This is how you will learn to register for courses and see how your courses transferred in. You will also be introduced to your academic advisor
April, May, June, August (4 sessions)1st week DecemberConnect with academic advisor and address your intended schedule for the next 3 semesters
April, May, June, August (4 sessions)1st week DecemberAcademic Advisor will release hold on your account. Register for courses
July 15January 15Submit final transcripts after grades have posted
Beginning of AugustBeginning of JanuarySubmit tuition payment with Student Financial Services. This can be accessed in myHumboldt under Financial Matters. Students will be dropped from classes for non-payment

California Transfer Associate Degree Process

You can qualify for transfer to a CSU and earn an Associate's degree in specific majors at your community college simultaneously.

Course Transferability

Prudent planning for courses at your community college or current institution is to look ahead at the course requirements for your intended major at the course catalog and/or the recommended progress with Major Academic Plans (MAPs). Keep in mind, these are recommendations, and not all courses listed are required for degree completion. Comparison to the course catalog is strongly recommended to determine full requirements. Most community college course catalogs list each course as either college transferable or not. Within California Community Colleges they often list if it will be accepted to the CSU, the system that Cal Poly Humboldt is a part of, for transfer credit. Sometimes community college courses, even if applicable to an associate's degree, may not be counted upon transfer. All college level courses passed are accepted for transfer. Courses being accepted for transfer credit does not automatically mean they will be accepted as equivalent courses or as substitutes. To determine how your courses might transfer and which substitutes, also known as articulations, will be met visit either or You may also do a reverse search utilizing the above course catalog information.

Campus Resources to Support Transition

There are many resources offered at HSU that will help with your transition as well as once at Cal Poly Humboldt. 

Orientation: This is housed through the Dean of Students Office. There are 2 parts to orientation; an online component required prior to academic advising and course registration, and the second piece is an in-person experience attended shortly before the semester begins.

VETS: Veteran Enrollment & Transition Services serves active and former military students, as well as dependents of military. If this applies to you, make sure to connect as they will be able to guide you through the unique pathways and benefits available.

SDRC: The Student Disability Resource Center is available to students diagnosed with physical, emotional, and mental permanent or temporary disabilities. Many accomodations are available to students. It is advised that students with a diagnosed disability or accommodation need, contact SDRC as they enter Cal Poly Humboldt to process, even if an accommodation is not immediately necessary. All HIPPA information is protected within this office, and the only information shared is with the party required to provide accommodation and only of what the accommodation shall be.

Housing: On-campus housing is available to transfer students. Many options exist for different lifestyle needs and price points. Housing applications are due early, so be sure to visit their site. If you are not interested in living on campus, Cal Poly Humboldt Housing provides an off-campus housing liaison who can assist in various capacities, including landlord/tenant relations, apartment/house acquisition, and tenant rights and responsibilities. Off-campus housing may take time, so it is advised to begin your search several months in advance.

EOP: Educational Opportunity Program is an office that serves first-generation, low-income students. Different then many EOPS departments at community colleges, they provide strictly academic support rather than additional financial support. EOP provides transfer students with a cohort of other incoming transfer students to build community. They also host a 1 unit transfer transition course that has shown to make an impact on transfer success. Academic advising also occurs through EOP. At this time, Cal Poly Humboldt EOP only accepts new transfer students to their program in fall semesters; students who enter Cal Poly Humboldt in the spring will not be considered to enter EOP in the following fall. If you have questions about EOP, it is advised that you contact them early in the application cycle.

ACAC: The Academic & Career Advising Center provides advising for both academics and career. Some services they provide are in career exploration and identification, personality and strength identification and development, resume review, and employer relations. They also provide academic advising for undeclared transfer students. If you have declared a major, academic advising will occur with a faculty advisor from the respective department.

Childcare: We know that many students may also be parents, which requires a balancing act of ensuring your child(ren) are taken care of so that you can focus on your studies. Cal Poly Humboldt provides some options with flexible schedules that may help alleviate this worry.

Basic Needs: Find campus and community resources that will help to meet your basic needs while you are a student.

Cost & Financial Planning

Tuition & Fees: Tuition is the cost of instruction, such as the cost to pay faculty, the energy to run the building, cost of facilities management, etc. This is the base cost and can be covered for qualifying students by the State University Grant (SUG). Fees are the cost of anything in addition to tuition and course costs. These fees are voted on and approved by the Cal Poly Humboldt student body. Fees cover the base or supplemented cost of additional services such as Counseling & Psychological Services, Health Center, Recreation Center, tutoring, etc. There may be additional costs for specialized services such as fitness courses at the Recreation Center or prescriptions at the Health Center for example.

Grants & Loans: Grants are free money that is given either based on merit or financial need. Need is determined based on estimated family contribution; what is reasonable to assume a family could contribute to tuition based on income, regardless of other financial obligations. Grants do not need to be paid back. Loans are money that is offered to cover the initial cost of college with the understanding that the money will be paid back upon separating from the university. When applying for aid, the first type of offer will be grants, if you qualify, then followed by loans.

Scholarships: Scholarships are also free money, but typically require additional application or qualification. Scholarships may be offered on merit, need, or a qualifying characteristic (i.e. a Business Administration scholarship may only be available to Business Administration students, or you must be a member of the organization, for example). Some scholarships require continued qualification (i.e. maintain a certain GPA). There are several scholarships offered through Cal Poly Humboldt (Nov. 15-Jan. 31) and are typically tied to the academic experience. However, several other scholarships can be found elsewhere, such as through a membership organization (church, rotary club), offered in the community, or may be granted automatically in some instances.

If you think you need financial support, it is recommended that you apply for Financial Aid by the priority deadline (March 2 of the previous academic year). [This is for both fall and spring semesters of the following academic year, even if you transfer mid year, so make sure to get in early.] If you think your estimated family contribution may be too much, or you haven't been awarded previously it is still recommended to apply as each year can look different and you may still qualify for merit based awards. Additionally, if you will be applying for scholarships, most will require that you have applied to Financial Aid in advance.

Find other helpful financial planning tips at the following, the earlier the better:


Accreditation is the authorizing that a curriculum is approved and consistent to meet certain academic criteria. This is a system that can be used to ensure that graduates have certain base knowledged and that courses from other institutions will meet these same basic curriculum requirements. There are different types of accreditation, both for an entire institution as well as individual academic programs. The most widely accepted type of accreditation is "regional" and is what is required by Cal Poly Humboldt. Many institutions may have a "national" accreditation instead of or in addition to, but this alone will not suffice for transfer credits to Cal Poly Humboldt. Cal Poly Humboldt is regionally accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). If you are looking ahead at which universities you would like to transfer to, this is helpful to view far in advance as it can save much time and money to ensure that your current courses will be accepted for transfer. 

To find out if your previous institution(s) are/were regionally accredited visit and "look up a school": you learn the accrediting agency if it exists, you may see if the accreidtting agency will suffice to meet accreditation requirements for transfe courses at For more information and further understanding on accreditation visit: 

Tips for Efficient Transfer and Graduation

It is possible to qualify to transfer without being on track to graduate in 2 years after you transfer. Here are some tips to follow while in your community college or other current institution to graduate from Cal Poly Humboldt in a more timely manner. Additionally, not planning ahead while at your current college may keep you there longer or at Cal Poly Humboldt after.

Complete ALL 39 units of general education before transferring. Only 30 units are required to transfer, but you will still be responsible for the final 9 units after transferring as it is a requirement to earn the bachelor's degree.

Complete both American Institutions (US & CA Government, and US History) requirements, and one will also count as part of the area D general education. These courses are often offered as part of the general education plan and students can "double-count" toward 2 requirements with one course.

Look up major requirements and/or prerequisites in the course catalog, and compare information to learn which courses at your current institution match by visiting either (CA only) or Enroll in these courses to make up the other 30 units of your total required 60 units for transfer. Complete all available lower division major courses.

Utilizing the same steps, enroll in courses that will meet both major requirements as well as lower division general education courses. When applicable, one course may be counted for credit in 2 requirements for the bachelor's degree. You can learn which courses offered at your current institution will meet general education requirements by visiting their catalog or connecting with a counselor or advisor.

Complete the Cal Poly Humboldt Diversity & Common Ground requirements by looking them up on Utilize these to double count toward your major or general education requirements, or to triple count with your major AND general education requirements.

Look ahead to junior and senior level courses listed as major requirements in the Cal Poly Humboldt course catalog under course descriptions and ensure you enroll in the prerequisites while at your current institution. Visit or to determine how these courses are articulated through your current institution.

NOTES: Double counting courses toward multiple requirements will only apply beyond general education, but not within. For instance, you may take a GE course that also meets your major requirements and receive credit for both. However, you may not earn credit for a GE course listed in multiple areas multiple times for each GE area. While it is advisable to accomplish much of this prior to transfer, in some instances this is not in your best interest, such as only having one course left on this list and remaining at your institution for an additional semester. If you have met transfer requirements and this is the case, it will be more efficient to transfer and enroll in multiple courses at Cal Poly Humboldt.

Make the Most of 2 Years at Cal Poly Humboldt

  • Utilize your academic advisor consistently. Meet with them AT LEAST once each semester, and far in advance of registration. This will help to ensure that the courses you are taking will keep you on track and will not be in a competetive and stressful registration period, allowing for individualized attention.
  • Develop a rapport with each professor. Visit them in office hours early in the semester to introduce yourself and your goals. This will make approaching them if you need assistance later much easier. It will also allow them to understand your goals and perhaps connect you to other relevant experiences.
  • Connect on campus. This can be done in a variety of ways depending on your needs and obligations. Students may join a club or organization that features an interest or career goal. Students find value in their academic experience by connecting it to out of class service such as working with Y.E.S. or CheckIt. If these are too much of a commitment, there are several events hosted on campus that allow students to connect. Keep an eye out for information via your email, the Cal Poly Humboldt webpage, social media, and posted on campus.
  • If you are a member of a campus organization such as EOP or VETS, attend their free events intended to connect students of similar experience.
  • Visit the Social Justice, Equity, and Inclusion Center (SJEIC) or connect with the Umoja Center for Pan African Student Excellence, El Centro Académico Cultural, or Native American Center (ITEPP).
  • Explore internships early. View resources at your major department office or website to learn of opportunities. Meet with professors or advisors to explain goals and identify applicable opportunities. Many deadlines for internships are far in advance, so act early. Additionally, building rapport with faculty will make it easier to identify qualify references. Utilize the Academic & Career Advising Center (ACAC) as a resource for internships as well.
  • Consider graduate programs if applicable and learn what qualifications are necessary. Identifying this early on will aid in selecting appropriate courses and gaining applicable experience.
  • Visit the Academic & Career Advising Center (ACAC) to explore career and internship opportunities. Have your resumé reviewed. Attend workshops to prepare you. 


When does the application open and close?The priority application for fall opens on Oct. 1 and closes Nov. 30 at 8:00pm PST. The priority application for spring opens on August 1 and closes August 31. The application can be accessed at
Are there any other documents, such as a written essay, required for admission consideration?Not other documents beyond the Cal State Apply application is required for the application materials. Official transcripts will be required to be sent to Cal Poly Humboldt from all institutions attended. Some majors have supplemental questions for consideration, but is part of the initial application.
When will I get to register for courses? Registration occurs after you have completed the online registration tutorial and connected with your academic advisor. Note: you will learn who your academic advisor and how to access them as part of the online registration tutorial. Online tutorial and course registration occurs in May/June for fall and Dec for spring.
Am I able to visit the campus before I commit?Yes! We have several ways to connect to campus, which include a guided tour. These are offered 6 days a week. There are several resources to visit virtually as well. See
How do I know if my courses will transfer?Once you have submitted an application and official transcripts, and an evaluation has taken place, you will have access to DARS. This will show how your courses were accepted and what they counted toward. If you have questions about which courses will transfer prior to application, you may use or or connect with one of our counselors.
I used to get CCPG/BOG? Will I get a State University Grant (SUG)?While no guarantees exist that financial considerations are exact between community college and Cal Poly Humboldt, often there is a correlation. If you have specific financial questions or want to know what you might qualify for contact Financial Aid.
What if I did not take the SAT/ACT?At this time, ACT/SAT test scores will not be required. Instead we will use a multifactor criteria to determine eligibility for lower division transfer students.
Why won't the application let me input my intended major? This is likely that you inadvertently stated that you were earning an Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT), which requires you enter a similar major, and as a result limits the option. Return to your extended profile and change that you are transferring from a community college (either with less than or at least 60 units). For further help with the application, refer to the resources at the Cal State website or contact them directly.
What is the authorization needed from my community college for my associate degree for transfer?This demonstrates that the community college conferred your Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) so that the guarantees can be honored. If you have received notice about this, likely they did not confer the degree. Follow up with your California Community College.
I ordered my transcript, but why is it still listed in my to do list?If you recently ordered your transcript, it is possible it is still being processed. It can take approximately 2-3 weeks to process, though sometimes sooner. If it has been longer, contact your previous institution to determine if it was in fact sent or reorder.
I can see in myHumboldt that I've been admitted, but why can't I accept admission?The application systems is set so that it can auto admit based on self-reported information. However, this admit is dependent on confirmation of the information. Once this information has been confirmed with official transcript and evaluated, an admission decision will be issued and the "accept admission" button will appear in your myHumboldt account.
Why was my application canceled or denied?If you were not denied for lack of qualifications, then it is likely that you did not finish submitting all the documents necessary for admission, such as all transcripts. Visit your to do list in myHumboldt to determine what is missing. Contact the Office of Admissions ASAP.
How do I access an academic advisor?Academic advising occurs within your major department. Your academic advisor will be given to you during the online registration tutorial prior to registering for courses. Make sure to register for an online registration tutorial in myHumboldt after accepting admission. If you are undeclared, you will work with the Academic & Career Advising Center (ACAC) after online orientation.
Is it possible to defer admission?There is no penalty for electing to not enter Cal Poly Humboldt once admitted. However, admission can not be deferred. If you choose to enter Cal Poly Humboldt in a different term, you will need to submit a new application. If you have submitted any documents within the last 5 years, they will remain in your account and will not need to be resubmitted.

2022 Annual Security Report

Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the 2022 Annual Security Report (ASR) is now available for viewing at The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and sexual assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for Cal Poly Humboldt for 2019, 2020, and 2021. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Title IX & DHR Prevention Office located at:

212 Siemens Hall
1 Harpst Street
Arcata, CA, 95521
(707) 826-5177

For more information about Clery Compliance, please visit: