Returning to Humboldt

We are glad that you are interested in returning to HSU.

If you are returning after an approved educational leave:

  • per the terms of your leave, you do not need to reapply to HSU. Contact the Office of the Registrar at 707-826-4101 or with any questions.
  • after being away from the university longer than the terms of your leave, you will need to reapply to the university. Submit an application at

If you are returning after being away from the university without an approved educational leave, you will need to reapply to the university. Submit an application at

If you are returning after being academically disqualified, you will need to reapply and petition for reinstatement to the university. See Disqualification & Reinstatement for instructions.

Application Time Periods

Spring semester: Applications will be open from August 1 to September 30.
Fall semester: Applications will be open from October 1 to February 28.

All Returning Applicants

Please indicate on the Extended Profile of the application (Calstate Apply) that you are a Returning Student to Humboldt and include your HSU ID number.

Quadrant 2  - Academic History

Tile 1 Colleges Attended Indicate Humboldt State University, Degree in Progress, type of degree planning to earn, and dates of attendance. If you have earned over 90 semester units, you must reapply to the same major you previously pursued at Humboldt State. If you attended any school during your absence from HSU you will need to include this information, and request an official transcript from that institution to be sent to Humboldt State.

Tile 2 Transcript Entry will indicate:
Returning Applicants: If you are returning to the same CSU that you last attended and have not taken any college courses at another institution, select "I Am Not Adding Any College Transcripts." If you have taken courses at another institution, enter the coursework for that institution.

Once you have applied to HSU, please log into myHumboldt.  There, you will find outstanding requirements from your previous attendance and/or for your new application. Please check Student Center and your email regularly.

If you were a student involved with the Educational Opportunity Program at HSU, please contact the EOP Admissions Office at 707-826-3778 to inform them of your intent to return. They will be able to help you with the process.

Returning Admission Requirements

  1. You must have a cumulative GPA of 2.00 in any college coursework taken after you left HSU (if any).
  2. You must be in good standing at the last institution you attended if other than HSU.
  3. If you were discontinued from HSU for not completing remediation, you must complete approved remedial coursework at another institution to be eligible to return to HSU. See the Office of the Registrar for more information.
  4. If you are applying to an Impacted major, you will need to meet the additional criteria to be eligible. If you do not have the required coursework, you will need to return to HSU as an undeclared major, take the appropriate courses, and then petition the department to change majors.