Credential Programs

Teaching credentials in the State of California are regulated by the legislature and administered by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). While students are admitted to Humboldt and take classes through our programs, the credential is ultimately awarded by the CCTC. If you have completed a bachelor’s degree and are interested in pursuing a teaching credential as a post-baccalaureate student, please review the information below to ensure your application experience is a positive one. The credential programs at Humboldt are dedicated to social justice-oriented and anti-racist teach and learning.

Elementary Education

To become an elementary school teacher you will need a Multiple Subject Credential.

This one year program will give you a preliminary credential that will allow you to apply for your official credential. The program is focused heavily on fieldwork and is supplemented with in-person coursework. This mix of fieldwork and coursework creates opportunities to learn through multiple experiences while in diverse public school settings.

Elementary Education: Eligibility & Application

NOTE: The School of Education also offers a unique four year bachelor's degree and credential program called Liberal Studies Elementary Education. This program will give you a B.A. in Liberal Studies and an Elementary Education credential in four years. 

Secondary Education

To become a middle school or high school teacher you will need a Single Subject Credential.

This one year program will give you a preliminary credential that will allow you to apply for your official credential. This program offers face-to-face and online classes and can place you in schools around the state. Our classroom discussions are enriched by the inclusion of teaching experiences from a diverse array of communities.

Secondary Education: Eligibility & Application

Special Educational

To become a special education teacher in California you need a California Education Specialist Credential.

This one year program will give you a preliminary Mild to Moderate Support Needs Credential that will prepare you to apply for your credential license. You will be prepared to teach special education for kindergarten through adult grades and authorize you to teach individuals with learning disabilities, developmental disabilities, health impairments, and serious emotional disturbances.

Special Education: Eligibility & Application

Educational Leadership

In order to become a school administrator you will need to obtain a Preliminary Administrative Services Credential. For a complete list of the services you will be able to provide as a credentialed administrator visit the CTC Administrative Services Credential page.

Educational Leadership: Eligibility & Application


2022 Annual Security Report

Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the 2022 Annual Security Report (ASR) is now available for viewing at The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and sexual assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for Cal Poly Humboldt for 2019, 2020, and 2021. 
A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Title IX & DHR Prevention Office at (707) 826-5177 or by email at Their mailing address is: 
212 Siemens Hall
1 Harpst Street
Arcata, CA, 95521

For more information about Clery Compliance, please visit: