Placement Testing

Important Information

Please read the following information carefully. You should visit CSU Placement Tests website for complete details. If you have questions about taking the exams at HSU, you should contact the HSU Testing Center directly at

What are the ELM/EPT?

The California State University (CSU) system requires new students to take the CSU Entry Level Math exam (ELM) and English Placement Test (EPT) before registering for classes, unless they are exempt. These placement tests are designed to determine your level of preparation for college work in Math and English.

You cannot register for ANY classes at HSU unless you have completed the EPT/ELM or you are exempt.

You will know if you are exempt because the item WILL NOT appear on your to do list located in your student center.

Do I Need to Take the ELM/EPT?

Students who are required to take the test(s) will be informed by the HSU Office of Admissions.

If you have not received information or have questions about your test status, please call the Office of Admissions at (866) 850-9556 (toll free).

It is your responsibility to provide your official SAT or ACT scores to the Office of Admissions prior to orientation.