Graduate Students

Ready to apply to a master's 
degree program at HSU?

Application Timelines

Fall 2017 - Applications Cal State Apply are currently being accepted for Applied Antrhopology, MA Education, MA Social Science.  Please check the departments web page for application deadline information.

Spring 2017 - Spring applications will open August 1 for a limited number of programs.  Please check with the department for admission information and deadlines.  Graduate Admissions Program and Deadline information. Deadlines do vary for the spring admission term, however graduate applicants are advised to submit all university and program application materials as early as possible.

The Fall priority application period for Graduate programs is October 1 through February 1.

Completed applications, with all materials received in the Admissions office by February 1, will get priority consideration by the graduate program. Applications that are complete (required materials) after February 1 will subsequently be reviewed and considered by the department in the order received. Please check with the Graduate Program for supplimental application requirements.

Supplemental Material should be sent to: (Please be sure to include your name within the document that has been saved as either a Word Or PDF)

What constitutes a completed file? (The To-Do-List located in your Student Center will indicate no items required)

  • One Official Transcript from any college or university ever attended.
  • Residency information completed.
  • Application Fee ($55.00) paid.
  • Three Letters of Recommendation (LOR's) submitted (Please note LOR's can take up to 10 business working days to move into your record).

Application Instructions

Only One application per Semester can be submitted.

Apply: Complete the California State University Graduate Application online at CSU Mentor. A $55.00 application fee is required at time of application. The CSU Application Fee Waiver is No longer available for Master's Applications. If you are unable to pay with a credit card, a check can be mailed to the address indicated below.

To be considered for financial assistance offered by some programs, be sure to file a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) by March 2. NOTE: You can now file your FAFSA as early as October 1st, allowing you to use earlier income & tax information (rather than having to estimate for the following year). Contact your department for details. FAFSA information/application is available through Cal State Apply.

Transcripts: One official transcript is required from all colleges or universities you have ever attended. Official transcripts must be in their original sealed envelope.

Humboldt State University 
Office of Graduate Admissions 
1 Harpst Street 
Arcata, CA 95521

Electronic Transcript: Humboldt State University currently accepts electronic college transcripts via Credential SolutionsScrip-SafeE-Transcript California and Parchment. The transcript submission will only be accepted as electronic NOT in PDF version. If you are asked for an email address Please do not use.

Transcript Exceptions

  • Humboldt transcripts: You do not need to request transcripts for any work completed at Humboldt State University.
  • If you were enrolled at Humboldt as a regular matriculated student within the past 5 years, we will still have your file, you do not need to request transcripts for college work completed elsewhere, unless you completed additional college work after you left Humboldt.

Letters of Recommendation

MUST BE submitted online through CSU Mentor, Page 11. If you have questions, please contact the Graduate Admissions Office, 707-826-6250. Please note that it can take up to 10 Business Working days for the LOR to be removed from your checklist. You can check reference information by logging back into your Mentor application.

To Waive or Not to Waive your rights -

To re-send emails to referrers: Log into CSUMentor and follow these steps:

  • Apply Online
  • Graduate Admissions Applications
  • Click on the semester in which you applied
  • Scroll down to “Online applications already submitted”
  • Click on “View letters of recommendation”
  • Click “Resend email” for those referrers

Remind them to check their spam folders. If you need to change a reference scroll to end of page.

Instructions to edit LOR:

Log into CSU Mentor and go to:

  • Apply Online
  • Click on "Graduate Admissions Application"
  • Click on the box for the term applied for
  • Scroll down in application manager to section "Online application already submitted"
  • Click on "View letters of recommendation"
  • Click "edit" for the referrer needing to be changed
  • Change the recommender information
  • Click "submit"

Supplemental Materials: Most graduate programs require additional supplemental material. It is your responsibility to check with the department for specific details. Please send all supplemental materials to

You can follow your application status by:

  • Checking your Student Services Center. Approximately 5 business days after submitting your CSU Mentor Application, you will receive an email, with information on how to log into your HSU Student Center to check the progress of your application.
  • Contacting your academic department to ensure they have received all materials required for the department's application.
  • If you are denied admission and disagree with the decision, please contact the department directly.

Additional Information

Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP). WRGP is a program that allows admitted students from 15 western states to pay California resident tuition. The WRGP Majors are: English, Environmental Systems, Natural Resources, Social Science & Sociology.

To be considered for financial assistance offered by some programs, be sure to file a FAFSA by March 2. Contact your department for details. FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is available through Cal State Apply.

The 2017-18 FAFSA opens Saturday, October 1, 2016. The priority deadline is March 2, 2017. However, we highly recommend submitting as soon as possible.

If you have any further questions or are interested in more information please reference the Financial Aid Website or this FAFSA 2017-18 informational flyer.

GRE Institution Code for Humboldt State University: 4345 - Please Note: If you have not taken the GRE Test, you only need to indicate on the application that the test date is pending.

For Humboldt State University application information, please contact the Graduate Admissions Office: 707.826.6250 or

For Financial aid information, please contact the Financial Aid Office – Toll Free (866) 255-1390 | Local 826-4321 | Fax (707) 826-5360.