Am I Eligible? Residency for Tuition Purposes

CSU Chancellor's Office Residency Information

California Residency for Tuition Purposes: 10 Things You Need to Know (pdf) - This document helps clarify a number of misconceptions about establishing residency for tuition purposes

Determination of Residency for Tuition Purposes (pdf) - This document outlines the most common residency rules we use to decide a student's residency status

Establishing California Residency for Tuition Purposes(pdf) - Yes, it is possible to establish California residency while you are a student here. This document tells you what you need to know.

Residency Forms for Applicants

Please read the descriptions, print, and fill out the appropriate form below, if required. Once complete, please fax the form to 707-826-6190, email to, or mail it to:

Office of Admissions
Humboldt State University
1 Harpst Street
Arcata, CA 95521

Residency Questionnaire eForm If you have a current application on file at Humboldt and you have been asked to provide additional information regarding your residency status, please send us this form. It will help us determine if you meet the California residency requirements. If you have not yet applied, do not fill out this form - answer the residency questions on the application itself.

Please Note: To submit the form online, you will need to log in with your HSU username and password.

AB 540 Nonresident Tuition Exemption Form If you do not meet California residency requirements but you attended a California high school for a minimum of 3 years and graduated (or will graduate), you may be eligible to have your nonresident tuition fee waived.

Please note: If you qualify for this exemption, your nonresident tuition fee will be waived and you will pay California resident tuition fees; however, you will still be considered a nonresident for all other purposes—for example, you may not qualify for state/federal Financial Aid.

Forma AB 540 para la excepción de matrícula como no-residente de California. (pdf) Si usted no cumple con los requisitos de residencia del Estado de California, pero asistió un mínimo de 3 años a una escuela secundaria (high school) de California y se graduó (o se graduará), puede usted calificar para la excepción de matrícula como no-residente. 

Aviso: Al ser aprobado, se le cobrará la matricula de residente de California, sin embargo, seguirá siendo considerado como no-residente de California para otros servicios estudiantiles por ejemplo, es posible que no calificará para Ayuda Financiera del gobierno.

For more information visit Resources for Students without legal immigration status.

Residency Forms for Current Students

Residence Reclassification Request eForm (pdf) - If you are currently attending Humboldt and wish to ask for residence reclassification, print this form, fill it out completely and attach photocopies of the steps you have taken to establish residency. Mail the form and attachments to the Office of Admissions, 1 Harpst Street, Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA 95521, or bring them to the Admissions Center counter in the main lobby of the Student & Business Services building on campus. Or, you can pick up a residency reclassification packet at the Admissions Center. It contains the request form as well as information that further explains what documentation is required and the submission procedures.

Appeal Process

Students classified as nonresidents may appeal to the Chancellor’s Office within 30 calendar days of the issuance of the notification of the final campus decision. The campus decision may be appealed only if at least one of the following applies: 

  1. The decision was based on:
      • a significant error of fact;
      • a significant procedural error; or
      • an incorrect application of law which, if corrected, would require that the student be reclassified as a resident; and/or,

  2. Significant new information, not previously known or available to the student, became available after the date of the campus decision classifying the student as a nonresident and based on the new information, the classification as a nonresident is incorrect.

Students must explain why the appeal meets one or more of the above appeal criteria and provide supporting documentation. For example, a “significant error of fact” could be demonstrated by stating that the campus incorrectly determined that a specific document, such as a driver’s license, was untimely and by providing a copy of the document establishing the error. An appeal that only states “a significant error of fact,” will be denied.

Appeals should be submitted online at

Questions concerning the appeal changes and content may be referred to Dr. Ana Aguayo-Bryant, assistant director, Student Programs, at or (562) 951-4729.